Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Rajasthan Paintings & Bani Thani

Thanks for your overwhelming response. Frankly I never expected such response over just 4 post. Your appreciation really encourage to write more.

Received few message asking about other style and schools, basically the most important four major schools of paintings were Mewar (Udaipur), Marwar (Jodhpur - Bikaner), Dhundhar (Jaipur) and Hada (Bundi, Kota) and yes the one I shared earlier Kishangarh.

Bundi school had illustrations of religious and classical poetry along with court culture and depiction of feminine.

Jaipur school is influenced by Mughal style.

Maharaja playing polo with his favorite lady companions
Mewar school is celebrated for its lifestyle portraits developed for the various Maharanas of Mewar and Jodhpur school show whiskered men in high turbans, full of verve and passion, accompanied by dainty maidens. Paintings of the legendary Dhola Maru on camel back dominate the paintings of this region.

In continuation to previous post would love to share more about 'Bani Thani', the finest painting of the period from the brush of master artist Nihal Chand who transfigured his patron Sawant Singh (who later became a hermit) as lord Krishna and his beautiful lady mistress 'Bani Thani' as Radha. Sawant Singh fell in love with a singer in the employ of his stepmother called Bani Thani.

Bani Thani’s eyes were what drew Sawant Singh to her, and so did her singing. Seeing Bani Thani singing in his court each day helped the king’s heart grow fonder. Now Sawant Singh wrote poetry under the name of Nagari Das, and since Bani Thani was a poet in her own right too.

As an other side of coin, it somewhere shows the Sawant Singh as a poet, ruler in romance and following the 'religion of love'.

 So do you too follow the same? :)

2 comments:

  1. when I saw Bani Thani, when I heard her sing
    (by Raj Arumugam)



    O Bani Thani
    I grow thin, wanting you;
    O you of the drooping eyes and long neck
    O Bani Thani, O sublime poetess and singer
    who walks gracefully through the halls of Kishangarh
    I hear
    you are in my stepmother’s service;
    and the songs you sing
    though they are most sublime
    they lure me into unholy thoughts, O Bani Thani
    as do your drooping eyes, your lips curved into a smile
    You walk head high always, they say
    and you look directly ahead even when I am nigh
    and yet that too invites me to wander over the landscape of your face
    your drooping eyes, your drooping eyes
    the eyebrow like a bow, the bow of Rajput warriors
    whose arrows pierce with vigour
    the elongated face, O Bani Thani
    your elongated face and nose and curls of hair
    that flow to your waist
    and that visage and seduction all graced in muslin odhni
    O Bani Thani
    I hear your voice, I hear your songs
    and your poems are recited here by the men even in the streets –
    O but do you hear mine, do you hear my poems of
    love, lust and thoughts unholy?
    O do you hear my poems of pain and longing? –
    all arising, all arising, O Bani Thani
    everything in my manhood aroused
    as I see you walk by, as I hear you sing
    as I hear you play on your instruments
    O Bani Thani, Bani Thani –
    sing to me, sing to me:
    What is my end, what is my fate
    in this my love and longing for you?

    ReplyDelete